Conquistador Instant Leprosy

The tingling fresh coffee which brings you exciting new cholera, mange, dropsy, the clap, hard pad and athlete's head. From the House of Conquistador.

Chock full of the esoteric and the gratuitous, sort of like my life.

(Formerly known as Pomegranate Rickey.)

Sunday, November 18, 2007

Snack time, anytime.

The other night, I was feeling a bit peckish after catching a movie, so I ducked into a sub shop that stayed open late. There were no customers in the store and only one guy behind the counter, so he engaged me in a little friendly conversation.

"Nothing like a sandwich, right?... Man, I could eat a sandwich anytime... I could've just had something to eat, and if someone said 'hey man, you want a sandwich?' I'd probably say yes. Know what I'm talking about?"

First off- now THIS is how you converse with a customer. Of course, it helps if you're a genial guy in the first place, but still, this is how it's done. Since it was a sandwich shop, tips weren't expected, so I doubt he was angling for one. Instead, he just wanted to be friendly, while still respecting the boundaries inherent in the customer/employee relationship. As you might have guessed, I appreciated it.

But his statement got me thinking- what sort of food could I eat anytime? I'm not talking about rich, fancy dishes that require lots of preparation so you only eat them when you're dining out. I'm talking about the food you reach for when you're at home and you're not necessarily starving but you just want a quick and easy snack. Like cereal for Seinfeld or that old lady who eats Stella D'oro Breakfast Treats at midnight in the old commercial.

Me, I'm partial to toast. Doesn't need to be all dolled up with fancy preserves or anything- a smear of butter will suffice. But toast just hits the spot anytime, anywhere. I wonder if it has anything to do with a subconscious connection I've made between toast and feeling better, since whenever I was sick as a child the first thing I'd try to eat would be toast. But trying to pair up childhood causes with adult effects doesn't matter here, just what tastes good to me. Rye is my toast of choice, but really, any toast'll do.

What about you folks? What's your default anytime comfort food?

4 Comments:

At 25 November, 2007 20:30, Blogger Steve C. said...

Something involving cheese, probably. Maybe Cheez-Its.

 
At 25 November, 2007 21:03, Blogger Steve C. said...

Also, yes. Rye is awesome beyond awesome.

 
At 28 November, 2007 23:26, Blogger DANNY BALDWIN said...

Now this is a coincidence.

I got on here to post my very own sub-shop experience today on your "Friendly not Familiar" post, because I thought it was just perfect.

EMPLOYEE: [out of nowhere] "Are you on your break?"
GUY BEHIND ME: "No."
EMPLOYEE: "Ah... done with work?"
GUY BEHIND ME: "No."
EMPLOYEE: "Oh, so you have the day off?"
GUY BEHIND ME: "No... if you must know, I'm retired."
EMPLOYEE: "Oh... that's nice... I won't be there in years... are you looking for work? Will you be able to live out the rest of your life?"
GUY BEHIND ME: "Huh?"
EMPLOYEE: "Because, you know, if you need a job, we're hiring."

He didn't say anything, but MAN, I could tell the guy was bothered. And what the heck was this all about?

 
At 06 December, 2007 05:59, Blogger Adam Villani said...

Seriously, pizza. Say I've already eaten lunch, and there was a meeting or something so there's leftover pizza in the breakroom. I'm there no matter what.

If we're going out to eat, and my wife asks what I want for dinner, I don't even bother mentioning pizza anymore, because it's pretty much a given that pizza will be one of the things I'll feel like eating.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home