Conquistador Instant Leprosy

The tingling fresh coffee which brings you exciting new cholera, mange, dropsy, the clap, hard pad and athlete's head. From the House of Conquistador.

Chock full of the esoteric and the gratuitous, sort of like my life.

(Formerly known as Pomegranate Rickey.)

Friday, October 12, 2007

Home cookin'

Taking the advice of Andy Horbal, I gave Alton Brown's recipe for Baked Macaroni and Cheese a whirl last weekend. As expected it was tasty, although I think I could make a few small improvements to up the deliciousness factor. But since I live alone, I had a whole bunch left over (don't worry, this isn't going to be another post about how I can't get a date). I ended up taking the leftovers to work with me for several days thereafter, as a reprieve from my usual can of soup.

Now, here's the real story. When I'd be heating up my leftover mac and cheese, most people would either say nothing or say, "hey, did you make that yourself?" But there was one exception. A woman about my age (I almost typed "girl" for some reason) who I sometimes see at lunch noticed what I had and asked me, "did you make that or was it from the Colonel's?" Those six words made all the difference- "or was it from the Colonel's". I gotta admit, that hurt my feelings a bit.

I pride myself on being at least a little domesticated. I don't always eat out of boxes or cans, and can cook a decent number of good dishes either from memory or from recipes I inherited from various sources- mom, grandma, Uncle Alton, and the like. So I think my reaction to her question had a lot to do with her (entirely unnecessary) implication that I might not have cooked the macaroni and cheese. After all, most people simply asked if I'd cooked the dish without feeling the need to suggest an alternative that involved me not lighting the stove.

But I'd be lying if I said that the particular alternative that popped into her head and out of her mouth had nothing to do with it. Because... KFC? Really? I'm sure their mac and cheese isn't bad for fast-food mac and cheese, but is it really worth saving the leftovers?

Or could she have possibly been implying that I had brought in my lunch a dreaded failure pile in a sadness bowl?????



Ugh. Heavens forbid in my opinion.

Oh well. Let her eat her Colonel's mac and cheese. More of the homemade stuff for me, thankyouverymuch.

8 Comments:

At 12 October, 2007 06:56, Blogger Adam Villani said...

I gotta say that I don't really like cheese, so I love the powdered Kraft (or whatever knockoff companies exist) stuff and dislike home-cooked mac-and-cheese.

But that is because I don't really like cheese.

It is true, though, women at work will be amazed if you bring in food you made yourself.

 
At 22 October, 2007 16:39, Blogger Victor said...

I pride myself on being at least a little domesticated...

translated

I pride myself on slitting my manhood's wrists occasionally, so some chick doesn't get the pride of completely killing it

 
At 22 October, 2007 20:20, Blogger Paul C. said...

Well, it's more that I like to eat something other than Kraft dinner and ramen noodles every so often, and as such I need a few relatively simple but tasty recipes in the ol' rotation to break the monotony.

But yeah, maybe a little of what you said. Rest assured I haven't completely given myself over to the Martha Stewart Living way of life. For example, unless there's company coming, the bed ain't gettin' made.

 
At 24 October, 2007 23:15, Blogger Victor said...

Why would the company see the bedroom????

 
At 24 October, 2007 23:33, Blogger Paul C. said...

Well, my apartment isn't all that big. Also, the company might very well see the bedroom if the company was female and I intended to sleep with her.

 
At 25 October, 2007 01:42, Blogger Victor said...

As. I. Suspected. You. Meant.

Couldn't you just watch BELLE DE JOUR instead?

 
At 25 October, 2007 08:06, Blogger Paul C. said...

Well, yeah, I could. And most of the time I do. Trouble is, I can never watch it again for the first time unless I suddenly get Memento disease. And watching it for the first time is what the challenge is about, after all.

 
At 25 November, 2007 21:07, Blogger Steve C. said...

I made chicken piccata tonight. I'm discovering a genuine love for cooking, and it's making my wife very happy.

Translation: What Victor said.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home