Conquistador Instant Leprosy

The tingling fresh coffee which brings you exciting new cholera, mange, dropsy, the clap, hard pad and athlete's head. From the House of Conquistador.

Chock full of the esoteric and the gratuitous, sort of like my life.

(Formerly known as Pomegranate Rickey.)

Saturday, August 26, 2006

Lost in the Supermarket #1

- Fun with food-related grammar: the can for Dole Pineapple Chunks reads thusly-

Dole™
Pineapple Chunks
In Its Own Juice

Maybe my grammar isn't where it ought to be, since most of my writing lately is on a blog and all. But shouldn't it read "Pineapple Chunks in THEIR Own Juice?" The subject of the phrase, after all, is "Chunks," not "Pineapple," which merely describes what kind of chunks the can contains. It wasn't a deal-breaker for me or anything- Wong fan that I am, I bought the pineapple all the same- but it's one of those little annoyances we all encounter every once in a while. Can anyone else think of similar grocery store grammar flubs?

- Learn something new every day: In my quest to domesticate my life, I decided that it might be a good idea to put boxes of baking soda in my fridge and freezer, just like mom taught me long ago. I was planning to buy the regular boxes, but today I discovered that Arm & Hammer makes special boxes just for my specific purpose. I was taken back a bit when I noticed they cost a bit more, but as it turns out there's a reason- they put a thin piece of cloth inside the opening of the box to keep the baking soda from spilling out. OK, so they're not just ripping me off- that's a relief.

- It's not that obscure a reference, is it?: Healthy Choice frozen dinners were on sale today, so I picked up a few. As the girl at the checkout counter is scanning my items, she looks at the Healthy Choice stuff and idly asks, "you on a diet or something?"

A little rude, I thought, but I let it slide, and countered with, "no, just trying to get the frequent flyer miles."

The vacant look on her face said it all. Maybe I should have bought the pudding.

1 Comments:

At 04 September, 2006 10:18, Blogger Steve C. said...

Alas, the influence of Punch-Drunk Love has not spread as far as it deserves to. Bastards.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home